Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Devil's Advocate: Of "egos the size of cathedrals"



Timeless. Epidemic. Deadly.

"Vanity...always my favorite sin." I remember this quote shared by my mentor Ms. Josephine Bonsol back in my high school days, back at a place where the social environment is polluted with this trash and most people are loaded with this disease. It was truly something to reflect on given this modern age where everyone itches for power and entitlement. An insightful yet horror movie, I still get the chills whenever I remember Al Pacino said it with a devilish smile at the ending of the movie The Devil's Advocate (1997, directed by Taylor Hackford).

It's tempting. It's intoxicating. It's overwhelming--the power, the recognition, the stage.  Finally I was able to understand more about the life-changing implications of vanity as I witnessed Kevin Lomax (Keanu Reeves), a young, hotshot lawyer cross over the dangerous road to hell paved with win-win opportunities and irresistible temptations that would inevitably lead him to eternal glory--or so he thought. 

After winning a case that meant saving a scumbag math teacher accused of molesting a young girl, Kevin was approached by a New York law firm representative and offered him a job at the Big Apple--his dream come true. The contract included saving big time and unbelievably rich clients accused of triple murder cases, and working for the Devil himself--John Milton (perfectly and remarkably portrayed by Al Pacino). Amidst his seemingly intoxicating and successful career, Kevin eventually faces serious problems with his wife Mary Ann (Charlize Theron), thinking she was crazy when she began to talk about devilish voices and apparitions consuming her. Soon he found out it was all a test that justified his vanity after choosing entitlement over his wife.

Based on the book by Andrew Neiderman, The Devil's Advocate not only gave me a lot of goosebumps but also taught me the nature of vanity and how it defines and reflects one's lifestyle. Observing from my own backyard, I could say a lot of people, even me, continue to seek entitlement and recognition to the point that competitions become political arenas, honor students become students without honor and love and peace become mere empty words that people kept nodding about in church but completely forget when they go out and gossip about other people

I still have a hard time to push away the Narcissus attitude and the vanity that is so prevalent in the community. It may be hard for all of us. But then again, one should not blame his society for what he is because choice still exists.

In the end, as what my Ms. Josephine Bonsol keeps telling me, we all have to do everything in the direction of truth and love, and be inspired by this Hindu chant: "May I be an instrument of love and peace. May I be well."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...