Sunday, April 24, 2011

Our own Alter Space: the world with no future WALL-E





"Switch off the lights, or else..."

Over and over again.

Words we kids never want to hear, and simple duties we always forget to finish. Maybe because it's our parents, and we seriously don't want to hear it from an imperative tongue. But what if it's a game?

I was about to leave my room and paused at the light switch, remembering how I advanced to level two in my Alter Space game because of successfully conserving energy. I'd once thought it's just another amusing game in Facebook, not quite realizing how it changed me. I switched off the light.

Alter Space is the first Filipino environmental awareness game on Facebook. It's designed by Cleanergy from AboitizPower, and through this online recreation, millions of Filipino kids can finally get "addicted" to saving the environment.

Loading... 100%

Keep your carbon footprint at a low level and accomplish the tasks at hand. Suddenly all these boring chores became exciting quest logs for us to get to the next level. Switching off the lights, helping friends conserve energy and collecting solar power became part of our online pastime we'd never thought to be this educational and inspirational.

This is the first time I ever played a game in Facebook, realizing I could actually enjoy conserving energy back home. Alter Space would always remind me to turn off the TV and the component when nobody's using them anymore. But what I admire most is the game's promotion of the Filipino culture, highlighting the use of banig when sleeping and the turo-turo store with its Filipino cuisines.

Looking back, WALL-E's filthy world always reminds me how hopeless ours can be. The Smokey Mountain waste land I saw on TV always spoils my optimism that this world can still survive human negligence and cruelty. But then I realize it's not what I see that can save the environment--it's what I think.

Out here in the real world, it's not a game anymore. Playing Alter Space made me realize that we can always perfect our own virtual planets, but we can perfect this planet we live in only once. The change and the decision will always start in me, not in anybody. If I can't convince myself of the hopeful thought of the world's survival, how can I ever convince anybody?

"Be the change you want to see in this world." As part of the hopeful youth, I'll start the campaign in me to change people from all walks of life, just like how Alter Space has changed me.

23 comments:

  1. I'll also try the game :)
    This was really mind opening and persuading.
    THUMBS UP ate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like a cool yet educational game! Maybe I should play it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment Elvie! Educational talaga, play ka na!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kat! Matutuwa ka talaga because of the Filipino culture they've infused to the game

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard this game before but I'm pretty sure this will help minimize the growing environmental problems here in our country. I'll try promoting this game to my friends. :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow this is something we should be proud of. i want to try that game too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha .. ang cute naman nito .. grabe .. a cute way to inform .. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for commenting @Dino @Rebekka @Anonymous! Enjoy the game!

    ReplyDelete
  9. in less than a 1000 words (images are not included)na entertain ako ng entry ni Je... sana lahat ng Blogs ganito ka-relevant at ganito ka-iksi... hehe Je, try mo kayang mag-wordpress baka mapili yung gawa mo at ma featue pa!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy......7:28 AM, April 25, 2011

    I'll try to play the game too. :D
    Instead of planting sa farm ville yan nalang lalaruin ko para may matutunan ako. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome game hah !! like it :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. oo masaya yan. naglalaro din ako nyan e.

    ReplyDelete
  13. astig ^_^ roncy to..... hehehehehehe... bagong malalaro nanaman ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jezia . Your blog is very educational , it gives information and lesson to whole world even if it's just a virtual game. I want to play it too :)) GO LAGRONIANS !

    ReplyDelete
  15. :)) i think this is cool. :D and at the same time informative :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. if i only had time to read this completely............i would.......... but i'll try next time to better understand how this game works.......... pcnxa n te je!... hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool game, it would be one of the most educational and entertaining games :))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Much better from the previous application I've played before.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Je, oo nga maganda.. cute.. there are a lot of things that we will learn :) game na educational :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you po for the suggestion @Anonymous! Salamat sa comments @Joy @ Anonymous @Earl Daniel @James Roncesvalles @Orland @Josiah @Raymond @Kimberly @Anonymous @Noraida! Let's spread the environmental awareness by playing Alter Space!

    ReplyDelete
  21. from:Rev Justice C. Avila

    nice article , nice game ..

    mganda ung konsepto ng laro , its really educational , hindi lng knowledge ung maibibigay satin nito kundi wisdom , sana lahat ng facebook users ma-try to bago mag 2012 , kc magugunaw na ung mundo .. HAHA

    nyc article jezia .. naramdaman ko sa article mo ung awareness and pagiging concern mo sa environment ,

    good luck sa UP ! always try to make our country proud .. God Bless ..

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow this is really amazing ! Very Educational and this is something that Filipinos should be proud of.
    Thanks for the informative blog ms. Je..
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...