Wednesday, April 13, 2011

PIXAR @25: TOY STORY (1995) A peek at the "real playtime" for toys





We've no idea what comes alive when we're away or asleep.

There are two reasons why I somehow believe my stuffed toys talk and pounce around when I close the bedroom door: I was around 8--a stage where I believe everything in what everyone says--when I watched Toy Story; and I am a Filipino and as studies claim we are the most gullible people in the world.

Toy Story (1995, directed by John Lasseter) became Pixar's debut movie with its first ever computer-animated motion picture. It was a big hit for all ages as it finally reawaken the wonder and childish belief about talking toys and their own world.

The door closes with a bang, the bedroom is clear and out comes Andy's toys led by sheriff Woody (Tom Hanks). We were eight-year-old kids chewing gum and we ecstatically took our first peek at the world where toys of different boxes, origins and manufacturers "play" on their own and take on adventures we wished we could've witnessed on our own toys.

Did they also argue and punch each other like what Woody did when rookie toy Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen) invaded his territory and his Andy? Did they also lead an unexpected adventure down the streets, and almost got tortured by the big bully kid next door? At one point in my life, just after I watched Toy Story, I seriously began to contemplate on these questions. But whatever escapades they could've gone through, I was still comforted by the fact that whenever I got home, they were still on my bed, neatly arranged.

Woody and Buzz, along with the rest of Andy's toys, portrayed a mix of the human behavior involving coping up with differences, aggression over entitlement issues, jealousy and the discovery of who they truly are.

Maybe we'll never really know what comes alive in our own backyards.

TOY STORY Facts:

1. Toy Story was the first full-length animated feature film to be completely created by artists using the 20th century technology.



3. Tinny, the mute wind-up musician was originally the inspiration of Toy Story making. In fact, he was originally cast as Andy's new toy but was then replaced by the futuristic Buzz Lightyear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...