Tuesday, May 24, 2011

SOMETIMES WHEN YOU LOSE, YOU WIN.




I finally got my big break.

My mentor Ms. Josephine Bonsol simply told me to write. Every day. And I did.

The way I see it, my article published in the Philippine STAR was mostly about making my parents proud. My article, entitled "The Woman I Never Understood" was also supposed to be a surprise Mothers' Day gift to my mom, as I wrote and sent it online three days before the event.

But the one thing I'm proudest about this feat is the fact that, I suddenly realized, I can already help my parents financially, after I also won P5 000 worth of gift certificates from National Bookstore. It was an overwhelming feeling when I made my siblings happy because I helped them buy all the books they want and the school supplies we need.

My big sister Ate Nadine bought her favorite books by Jessica Zafra and Bob Ong. My twin sister Jillian finally got her dream come true with a complete set of art materials, from oil pastels to colored pens and watercolor. My brother Norman, on the other hand, finally got his set of school supplies. I also helped mom buy her office materials at work.

Ms. Josephine Bonsol was right: writing is the one thing I can enjoy and even make money from. My writing then made me realize I could even help my parents save money and allot it to other needs.

Sometimes when you lose, you win. Once I thought I'm simply a hopeless, frustrated writer every time I lose a writing competition. But then Ms. Josephine Bonsol told me to not linger on the past, analyze my mistakes and keep moving forward. She told me a lot of writers and media people became famous and rich even though they didn't win such writing contests.

Most of all, she reminded me that everything has a reason. Maybe it wasn't my time yet back then, she said, but I believe it is now.

Thank you very much to Philippine STAR, National Book Store and Globe! Nanay Bonsol, mom, dad, Ate Nadine, Jill and Jigs, this is all for you! I love you!

1 comment:

  1. hello jezia,

    i've joind the mfb writing contests several times already and the results are an excellent moral booster. at first losing may be disheartening, until you find that it is just the prelude to winning.

    (psst! how about submitting another entry soon?)

    mariamakiling

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...