Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The keyboard: mom's new typewriter





Now it's her turn to prove what she got.


I found it amusing looking at mom typing on the keyboard with two fingers, while constantly asking me how she would insert numbers and place kiddie borders for her school reports last night. Back when we were in Grade 3, mom would strictly lock us up in the dining area, Computer books wide open, until we memorize the positions of the letters in the keyboard using our fingers. I and my twin sister Jillian had found the Computer lesson so difficult we itched to go out and play badminton instead. Frankly, I never practiced placing my four left fingers on the A-S-D-F keys and my four right fingers on the J-K-L-; keys, even though I mastered where each finger is assigned. 


And just last night, looking at mom while she carefully placed the cursor to where she desperately wanted it to be, I laughed and told her how she almost made us cry just so we could pass our Computer practical tests back in the days. She flushed and said now it's her turn to be the student and receive all our snide comments (but of course, not anything personal) on how slow she types while using two fingers. We mocked her in laughter because she even got a list of "steps on how to save", etc. just so she could remember how to do them.


Typing should be easy for her, I suppose, because we also had this old typewriter we used for writing formal letters and short book reports many years ago. From this, it suddenly struck me how fast time has gone by, and it awfully felt like yesterday when we still played with the typewriter's ink ribbon and wasted all the bondpapers and typed with a lot of bad errors.


Until then, what any typewriter or keyboard will always be remembered for are the words and the sentences and the stories it has shared to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...