Monday, November 07, 2011

A Gift to Nature: Figaro Tree Planting and Eco Tour



3 cups of coffee= 9 coffee trees. That hit me hard and had proven me guilty as I remembered the times when I drank more than three cups of coffee a day and I didn't even know it cost more than a dozen trees. And I'm truly glad and honored that I could repay nature after I participated in Figaro's Tree Planting and Eco Tour, organized by Figaro Coffee Company in collaboration with the Figaro Foundation Corporation, last November 5 at Brgy. Esperanza, Alfonso, Cavite with famous bloggers, Figaro Club members, franchisees and business partners.

I truly learned a lot about coffee as Mr. Emil Cuaresma of the Figaro Foundation gave trivias and a lecture about the origin of coffee in the Philippines and its four main varieties, namely Arabica, Liberica, Excelsa and Robusta.

It felt like an educational field trip as we first visited the Gourmet Farms, one of Figaro's partners proudly unveiling their rich diversity of herbs and coffee and their bigger plantations which use organic fertilizers and the traditional carabao for tilling the land. I was overwhelmed to see firsthand and even smell the fresh rosemary herbs that Jamie Oliver of TLC always uses in his mouth-watering dishes. We also spotted Sharon Cuneta's Herb Collection of peppermint, rosemary and lemongrass.


I equally enjoyed their refreshing Banaba drink after the long but rejuvenating walk around the farm.

"From crop to cup." The aromatic scent of coffee and herbs wafting through the air and greeting us the moment we stepped foot on the entrance of the farm simply proved how fresh and organic coffee are produced at Gourmet Farms. We also toured the factory where they manufacture coffee and I learned that roasting coffee beans to catch that desired flavor sure isn't an easy job, as their taste instantly changes in a matter of seconds if the time limit for roasting was not followed.

After a hearty lunch prepared by the host family of the coffee farm that felt very provincial to me for the very first time, Mr. Crismel Verano, CEO of Figaro acknowledged the family and imparted the concept of giving back to nature and the project's significant contributions to help the coffee farmers and of course, the economy of the Philippines. The project also attempts to make the country one of the top exporters of coffee in the world, as it once had been.


The tree planting experience was something I would never forget and I'm proud of as I was able to repay nature even though I'm still a student. These kinds of activities I'd proudly say as the "real" projects that truly contribute something productive for the community and the country even in its little ways. Most of all, it made me discover the true meaning of responsibility as shared by Mr. Verano.

It was truly an unforgettable experience, especially that I could not  fully enjoy what nature could offer anymore as I was born in the city, and not to mention with famous bloggers and with my mentor and food blogger Ms. Josephine Bonsol. Thank you very much to Ms. Annesy Del Mundo for letting me experience this wonderful trip with a great cause and gave me the opportunity to give back to and mingle with nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...