Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cars 2: Tow Mater, Average Intelligence



"If he's your best friend, why would you ask him to be someone else?"

This is the exactly why I didn't submerge myself in the dangerous realm of friendship. Observing others forming their own BFF clubs back in high school, I realized one cannot fully be himself as the group will always fall into booby traps like backstabbing, senseless fights and misunderstandings and a political arena of passively dominating each other--may it be in terms of romantic relationships, academic statuses or any other unproductive endeavors.

Somehow these were the kinds of friendship I observed that, of course, have evolved from its simpler value and definition. I began to contemplate on what friendship should truly be about after I watched Disney-Pixar's Cars 2 (2011, directed by John Lasseter and Brad Lewis).

With Tow Mater (Larry the Cable Guy) leading the breathtaking race, Pixar gave a whole new, action-packed James-Bond-like storyline incorported with the quest to define true friendship. At first I was too overwhelmed by the fast pace of the movie, starting with Finn McMissile (Michael Caine, James Bond himself) spying on an illegal mission run by Professor Z (Thomas Kretschman).

Maybe the high-speed chase and the rather complicated plot further muddled by Mater's quite incomprehensible articulation of words buried the simple moral lesson that was unlikely of Pixar. Nevertheless, I truly enjoyed the movie as I also love action-packed ones, and Tow Mater successfully pulled off the humorous atmosphere throughout the movie. I was also amused at how Pixar perfectly portrayed Japan, Rome and London with their respective trademarks, like the geisha in Japan, the Pope in Rome and the Queen in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...